Thursday, January 19, 2012

It's Like Riding A Bike

I'm a little behind on the blog update but, finally got out for a bike ride. It's the first ride since I've seriously begun running. I really noticed the accumulated fatigue in my legs. It was quite a struggle by the time I reached San Bruno Mountain and I was pretty much bonking towards the end of the climb. Not having any food in the last six hours probably didn't help much. My last ride up Mt. Diablo on Christmas Eve was easier than this ride.
I'm curious how the riding and running is going to co-exist.
By the time I got home I was pretty much done for the day. Sunday was a loss and I decided to try to make it a rest day. I still went to the gym Sunday night and got a good upper body workout with a bit of aerobic.

The job has been insanely stressful and has been beating me down mentally which is no help in trying to keep up my motivation...

It's been my goal since I started running that maybe I could run a 1/2 Marathon in a months worth of training! Yes a lofty goal but I think a possibility. My aerobic capacity carried over from the cycling is where it needs to be so, that's not an issue. the punishment on the legs is what really had me worried. 

Monday was truly a ClusterFuck! I was in a pretty sad state of mind, feeling quite harried and getting a late start for my run. Trying to sink up my sattilites for my Garmin GPS is a real chore. I haven't been able to get it to an efficient process.
I kept getting phone calls and after close to 2 miles into my run I just went ahead and reset the Garmin and restarted the ride.
After about 3 or 4 miles I acutally started to feel pretty good so I just had it in my head to make an attempt for that 1/2 Marathon.
I was good up to mile ten when I started pushing my pace a bit. The last three miles were pretty horrible, especially the last mile ascending up into Russian Hill.
I finally made it but, It was definitely grueling! With the  2miles before I started my Garmin again It was more like 15 miles. Hopefully the next one will be easier. My pace was pretty slow. I never fully recovered from the San Bruno ride. I did another 10 mile run on Wednesday night and that was a slog too. Today I'm just taking the whole day off. I have too much to do with work anyway.

BTW, For those familiar with my blog, you may notice not too many pictures. I find it much harder to shoot the camera when running as compared to riding. I'll keep working on it. I've missed some really beautiful pictures in the last couple of weeks...

No comments: