Sunday, June 3, 2012

With My Kindle...I Can Conquer The World!

+
                           =
Ever since I downloaded my

first Kindle App to my old "Crackberry" phone. Once again the world has opened up for me. When I was a kid I would read veraciously! Probably not as much as the rest of the family. I come from a family of avid readers and they could all read four books to my one! That's OK though I really loved the process of reading, especially when during summers back in New England I would lay about in a broken down Chaise Lounge and reading Tom Sawyer, Jaws, lots of books about nature and anything I could get my hands on. I would savor every paragraph and many times just stop to think about and digest what I had read and just float away in a hazy pipe dream while in the distance, sounds of lawns being mowed and birds peacefully singing to one another in their musical language carried on while the sun would would warm me to the soul beneath a blue sky and green canopy of maple trees.


I never stopped reading but, reading became more sporadic as life closed in and things became complicated and messed up. I missed getting back into the calm zone of just relaxing and reading.
Comfort became an issue. The eyes lost a lot, and the hands would get cramped, also just the book holding, body positioning became cumbersome and when I had a moment to read I'd be somewhere where the book wasn't.
When I got the kindle app on the phone and acquired the capability to download a novel in less than 20 seconds with one click! Then I could be anywhere and just read on my phone with back-lighting, desired font size and bookmarks too. That was it for me! No more hard/soft covers for me.


My favorite thing to do now is at night I settle in with the dogs and all the lights off, except for the soft glow of the city lights coming through my windows turn on my Samsung 7 inch Galaxy Tab and just read till my eyes close. I wake up sometimes in the night and pick up where I left off.


I've read countless books in the last couple of years now and I've gotten back a little of the joy I had when I was a kid.
I have a tendency to read multiple books at the same time which is perfect with my kindle. I can instantly jump around. I also have a tendency to read in themes. Right now I'm reading 4 or 5 books (biographies) on running!



 


Pretty cool! The Kindle books are environment friendly and less expensive, although the publishers are catching on and starting to really jack up the prices. There are many sites to down load free books and share books that are out of copyright. I have an Amazon Prime account and I get free books and some great discounts. I also am able to share with other kindle readers!
Here's a great link to check out:


Well I'm going to get back to some reading, it's Sunday and this is a big reading day!

No comments: