Friday, September 7, 2012

Lap Dogs Be Keepin Me Down...


My reason for my sporadic blogging you ask?...
It's a very lame excuse but, when I stop moving for just one second during the day or night, I immediately am accosted by dogs and puppies! I always seem to have one in my lap, where back in the day it would always be a guitar, keyboard or book. 

I'm not complaining, if anything I'm happy with the affections of living beings. I'm actually grateful and feeling lucky to have all these little mutts around me and I'm happy that they've found a safe haven after what most of them have been through.
................................................

I wished I hadn't gorged myself with all that premium chocolate so soon before a long run and then to add gasoline to the fire, I washed it all down with a Mocha Latte.
At around 3.7 miles I felt tired, bloated and the crash after the sugar rush all brought me down to a new low.

I'm trying to get my trail running efficient for for my Fall races. I joined a challenge on "Strava" (online GPS based club and individual journal for athletes who ride, run, walk etc.) I need to run 100 miles of trails in 16 days. In my case with work and everything else in my life I'll probably have less than 10 days to complete this challenge. It's forcing me to toughen it up.

It has been interesting discovering new trails and areas previously unexplored. I'm usually running paved roads, riding roads and bike paths. I have to say it's been eye opening and exciting running trails, up and down cliffs, through wooded areas over sand dunes and never knowing what I'll find around the next turn or over the next hill.
There have been scenic vistas, very interesting people and other trail running athletes. 

On the down side I've found so many camps of homeless people and evidence of the multitudes who live destitute and hidden away from the general public.
I think the problem is so deep and complicated, with  many reasons for this situation. 

Mostly I think it's people that have given up with life and resigned themselves to this lifestyle. Drugs, alcohol and mental issues more than anything are basically the root causes for a lot of this but, that's just my laymen opinion. I've talked to many of these people and most that I've discussed their issues with are just not interested in finding resources to utilize and get themselves moving forward to a better life and just want to be left alone. So on it goes and the problem effects everyone. I have to say it's pretty gross and disgusting having to dodge needles, feces and sleeping bodies while I'm trying to stay healthy and find some relaxation and oneness with nature. I don't mean to sound lofty and arrogant but, I've been through a lot of crap in my life and I have my issues but I could never just give up like that. I'd rather just off myself and not have to suffer through a life like that...maybe I'm just a coward.
...........................................................................

Running has been such and adventure and kept me focused and move forward even with so much distracting sideshow activity in my life in the last 8 months.
This weekend I'm heading for more challenging trails in the Marin area. I'm thinking maybe a need a compass and some signal flares...not quite sure what I'm getting myself into here.
...........................................................................

Starting to get back to my photography and dabbling in some graphics with a mind of doing some kind of a book in the future. Stories, photos and graphics. We'll see where that will take me. Getting the creative urge again but, probably not with the music just yet.


Cathy and Gaga in Cathy's studio

No comments: